Tuesday, August 10, 2010

The other day, I saw a bear...

Today was going to be a nice, relaxing day with the family. I started out the morning by sleeping in and then working on my tan at mom's house which is pretty much the middle of no where. Eventually I realized it was time to run into Estes to get lunch and meet mom at East Portal. We barely had time to eat and talk before it became busy again. I sat outside the office and wrote some letters and enjoyed this view.

View from East Portal campground.
After awhile I headed over to the ranch to see Amber and Trinity. We were going to go "hike" around Lilly Lake after Trinity's nap. In the meantime I got to spend some time with my favorite sister-in-law. I've driven by Lilly Lake plenty of times but have never stopped to take the walk. We put the baby in her stroller and walked the path around the lake. First we went one direction and then we turned around and went the other direction. On our second lap we did a bit of off roading up a hill. It was a great time and Trinity seemed content to ride along and chew on her giraffe Sophie.
View of Long's Peak from Lilly Lake.

Trinity happy after her walk.
When we got back from our walk we were hanging out at the house with Grandma Kathy and deciding on dinner when Chris called. He was running down to the ranch before going to chase off a bear. He had received a call that the bear was back in the barn trying to get at the grain. It appears this has been a consistent problem lately. I had been holding Trinity, but I told her I wanted to go see the bear. She started to stick her lip out at me. I told her I'd be right back and handed her off to Grandma Kathy. She seemed fine with that. I ran out with my camera and asked Chris to let me go too. I'm not real particular about what kind of bear I see. I just wanted to see one after my disappointment over not seeing one in Glacier last week. He told me to hop in. By the time we got up to the barn the bear had moved up into the woods. It made it difficult to see him until we moved up to the tree line. The bear was eyeing us and we were watching the bear. Chris was waiting until Justin arrived to see the bear before running it off. I took some photos but began backing up when it started sounding annoyed. By the time Justin started moving up toward Chris along with another staff member the bear was fed up and took off. The boys chased it away in hopes that it wouldn't come back. I'm guessing it is only a matter of time until it is back. If I were that bear I'd choose new territory before hunting season begins. I think there are some people with an eye on having a bear rug this winter.


Checking each other out.

1 comment:

  1. A great big bear, a-way out there!

    LOVE THAT SONG!

    Also, I really like that second picture of the bear. You should blow it up and frame it!!

    ReplyDelete