Wednesday, August 4, 2010

My Summer Vacation

Our office is closed for the first two weeks of August. It was a thank you for all the hard work everyone did for the Olympics. Since I'm saving up for a big winter trip I opted for some domestic trips for these two weeks. And I'm starting with Montana and Glacier National Park. I've never made it to that part of the state before.

First state to pass through on the way up.



Yahoo for Montana!

Monday I headed up to Butte, Montana to see my Grandmother on the way north. I got in mid-afternoon which gave us lots of time to visit. And to also go to dinner at Pork Chop John's, my favorite stop in Butte.
Tuesday morning I was up early and heading off to Glacier. I had plenty of time to enjoy Flat Head Lake and some Osprey I saw along the way due to some very slow drivers. It was a beautiful drive, but I really wanted to be in Glacier. I eventually arrived later in the day. The hazy sunny day I'd been enjoying got cloudier the further I got into the park. I started at the bottom in a tank top, shorts and sandals. By the time I reached Logan Pass I was in long sleeves, sweat pants, tennis shoes and socks. It was cold up there! On the way up I stopped at an overlook. A nice couple named Devin and Jennifer were there so we helped each other out by taking photos. They are from Victoria so we discussed things I had seen or missed up there during the Olympics and what they were seeing down here. Very nice people. Further up the drive the clouds were hanging over the mountains so it was easy to miss a lot, including glaciers. There were lots of beautiful water falls though. I drove over the top and down to the St. Mary's Visitor Center. After checking out the Osprey nest, exhibits and a movie on the park I headed back the way I'd come. Eventually I got to the lower part again where there was some sun and warmth. When I stopped to check out some rapids I was informed by another tourist that they had seen a wolf. I did not see a wolf, although up near the top I did see a Big Horn Sheep.
Hopefully day two will reveal more of the park than day 1. Even with clouds though it is a lovely place to visit. Day 2 is going to include a guided hike and river rafting. I've never gone rafting, only canoeing so this should be fun.


No comments:

Post a Comment