Friday, August 6, 2010

The Closest I Got to a Bear...

Day two of my Glacier adventure I was signed up for a guided hike and raft trip. Our guide was Dean and the other members of the group were Judy, her daughter Cassi, Lisa and another Cassie. The first three were from the area although Lisa lives in California now and works with the second Cassie. It was nice to know that the California Cassie had never been on a raft trip either. So at least I had company in that department. The hike started at the old bridge into Glacier and goes for 6 miles along the border trail. I kept hoping that I would get to see a bear, but others in the group were not so excited about that possibility. Dean asked if we knew what to do if we saw a bear. I said that I thought you were supposed to play dead. Dean told us that we were supposed to circle our guide. Fortunately, he had bear spray. The closest I got to a bear was it's poop! There were a couple times we found some on the trail. Once it was rather fresh, but the bear made good time getting out of the area because we didn't see any. The trial we hiked took us along the river that we would raft later in the afternoon. This meant that we got a glimpse of the rapids we would be going through. They had names like "jaws", "pin ball" and "bone crusher". Nothing like hearing those names for your first time on a rafting trip.

We made really good time on the hike even with stops to check out berries, flowers, rapids or whatever else caught our fancy. At one point we were going through an area of trees that were so tall it made the light different. It was almost spooky but kind of cool. Every so often Dean would yell out so that any bears in the area would know we were coming. He said that the best deterrent for bears was the sound of our voice (not dinner bells on your pack). Every time he yelled it sounded like the response should be, "Daylight come and me wanna go home." I also got the Sound of Music soundtrack stuck in my head. But that was more due to the scenery.

Eventually we made it to the place where we would meet the raft. Since we had time we sat down and enjoyed our lunches that the rafting company had provided. There were great sandwiches, apples, chips and veggies. Dean also pulled out some pasta salad and cookies to go with our bagged lunches. It was a beautiful spot next to where a creek and the river met. We enjoyed the break and waited for the raft to arrive. When it showed up we met the family that would be going down the river with us. They had two teenage daughters along with mom and dad. So other than Dean and the dad, the group was all women. I thought I had my life jacket on tight until Dean came along to tighten it. Definitely made me feel skinnier after that. Everyone got along well and had fun. Dean told us what to do if we fell out. All I could think of was being told to keep your butt up and feet down river if we fell out of our canoe at Girl Scout camp. Of course when you actually flipped out of a canoe you forgot everything they told you. So I decided that it might be in my best interest to stay in the raft for this trip. I had no issues with grabbing the "chicken line" in the middle of the raft.



Our raft going through "Bone Crusher" rapid
The whole experience was a blast. The rapids were awesome and they got some great photos of our boat going through the bone crusher rapids. We also had fun messing with one of the other rafts. We would have run ins and splash each other since their boat looked too dry. Dean kept encouraging us to jump in during the deep pools we went through. Cassie gave it a shot through one area, but the other Cassi bailed at the last second. I was considering it but was in the very back. I was mostly wet but it was cold. Later when we got closer to the bridge where we started the hike that morning I moved up front to get some photos. At that point I figured I'd jump in. I left my hat and camera in the boat and Cassie said she would go with me. We stood on the front of the boat and jumped in together. That was the COLDEST water I have ever been in. WOW! Lisa got some photos so I have proof that I was that nuts. Later when Cassie and I were talking about it we discovered we are both oldest sisters. We were laughing that we had to jump in and be crazy since our sisters think we are boring.

Me & Cassie jumping in
Trying to get back to the raft
Since the weather was clear we got to see a glacier called Vulture as we rounded the last bend in our trip. I attempted a photo, and you can see it, but its not the best since I was using the little camera. It was a great trip and a fun group to hang out with all day. Once we reached the landing spot we got a bus ride back to the company offices. Along the way our driver gave us a 6 second tour of West Glacier. Yes, it is that small. At the offices we dried out, changed clothes and purchased pictures from our trip through the rapids. Since most of our group was local they told me about some great hikes I could do without fear of bears. I opted to drive back into the park past Logan's Pass so that I could see Jackson Glacier. I thought I had seen it the day before but it turns out it was behind clouds. I can now honestly say that I have seen it. So that made for two glaciers on this trip.
Lisa, Cassie, Me, Judy, Cassi

Jackson Glacier
After I saw Jackson Glacier I headed back to Logan's Pass so that I could do the Hidden Lake hike. I was told it was a mile. Then when I talked to someone along the trail they said it was 1.3. Whatever it was, it felt like forever. The whole way to the lake is up hill and at some points you are crossing big patches of snow. Someone warned me that people were slipping so I took it slowly. The whole area is beautiful so I tried to enjoy it while gasping for air. I was also told that there were a bunch of mountain goats up near the over look so that made it even more fun to get there. Along the way I met a family from LaPorte, IN. It appears that no matter where I go I will find people from Indiana. Eventually I made it to the overlook. And right in front of me were a bunch of mountain goats. I had been told they were around the bend. But these were right at the overlook. One of the babies even used the wood steps to catch up with the family. They were adorable! There were parts of the view that were somewhat covered by clouds but it was still worth it. I think I would have seen my third glacier but one was definitely behind clouds. I still think I saw one, but I have to go take a closer look at the map to be sure. There is an awful lot of snow pack that makes it difficult for me to be sure. Although Dean told us that to be considered a glacier it needs to be 25 acres, 100 feet thick and still moving. Right now they are down to 25 glaciers in the park and they figure all will be gone by 2020.
Two of the mountain goats
By the time I got back to the car it was almost 8pm. I got a laugh at everyone taking pictures of the deer wandering through the parking lot. Then I headed back down the mountain for West Glacier and dinner. Along the way I enjoyed the sun peaking through the clouds making path ways along the mountains. It was beautiful. At one overlook I stopped to take some pictures. There was a car full of people waiting for someone else with the same idea. They were joking that there was nothing to see. After taking some shots I joked that it was nice of them to wait for their passenger. It was a gorgeous evening. I thought I had missed sunset but lucked out when I got down by Lake McDonald. I pulled over and sat on a stone beach to enjoy the last few minutes. It was amazing. Then it was time to head out and finally eat some dinner.
Sunset at Lake McDonald

No comments:

Post a Comment